August 8, 2009

4.5 Earthquake north of Tela

Aug 8, 2009 earthquake Honduras
We had a 4.5 offshore earthquake at 5:33 a.m. this morning. I can only give you that exact data because of the Sismos en Nicaragua website.

We've actually had at least four or five earthquakes in the past 5 weeks that were big enough to be recorded but the USGS Earthquake site doesn't recognize our country or our earthquakes anymore. They only show one − way out in the ocean − for the past 30 days.

This earthquake was kind of a double rumble but not as strong as the last one I wrote about. It sounds a little like thunder but coming from the ground. Sometimes I hear it before I feel it. Quakes always seem to roll by under the house, but then, after a split second, this one did it again. It gave us a pretty good shake here in La Ceiba and rattled the windows like crazy. The quake was strong enough to wake up El Jefe who jumped out of bed. (heheheh) Not a fun way to wake up! We are pretty well used to these small ones by now but I always hold my breath wondering if it will be another big one like the 7.3 that hit Honduras in May.

Earthquakes, hurricanes, coups d'etats. Ho hum. Nothing scares me anymore.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...