October 22, 2007

La Gringa loves Haylock's

Haylock's

Haylock's is my favorite store in La Ceiba. It is just sooo nice. They sell furniture, kitchen stuff, household items, linens, and lots of pretty doodads. It's only been open about a year and a half. The first time I walked in the store, I actually got tears in my eyes. :-) Reminded me of home.

Their motto on the outside of the store is "Atención, Calidad, Precio" (Attention, Quality, Price). They do have better quality things than many stores and the prices seem good to me, especially considering the importation costs. The service is great and the employees are nice and helpful.

Just recently we bought a table and mirror for the entrada (entryway). Since we don't have a car, we asked if they could deliver. No problemo! It was late on a Saturday, so I didn't even ask when they would deliver the table. I figured it would be Monday or Tuesday. We weren't home more than an hour and boom! There they were with the table.

The owner Karen speaks English fluently and will even do special catalog orders for customers. I guess one thing I like so much about this store is that it is so clean and everything is arranged attractively. I hope they are doing well business-wise. They had a good crowd when we were there last Saturday.

Here is a close up of the mirror. Haylock's imports from....guess where? The U.S. We would rather buy Honduran, but we just can't find things like this made in Honduras.

I don't usually like to talk about what things cost but just for comparison purposes in case you are curious, the table cost L.4,550 and the mirror cost L.2,250, including tax. That's US $240 and $119. The prices seemed reasonable but I'm a little out of touch with what things cost in the U.S. now.

I try to hold back on my addiction for kitchen stuff. When we moved to Honduras, we had a huge garage sale and I had four 4x8 foot tables piled full of kitchen stuff. Despite that, I still brought enough with me to fill up my new kitchen. I've never been a big shopper, but kitchen stuff is my weakness.

Here is a tour of the inside of the store. I put the photos in a slide show because I'm quickly filling up my Blogger allotment for photo space, so once again, if you are reading this from email, I think you'll have to go to the blog (click the blog title) to view the photos.

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...