March 7, 2007

Rain gauges

When you move to a foreign country, there are a lot of adjustments to make. You have to change your thinking even about something as simple as a rain gauge.

First of all, I don't know anyone here who would ever dream of measuring the rain. Even the guy at the airport who records the official temperature doesn't do it.


Typical U.S. rain gauge,
measures 5 inches of rain (12.7 cm.)




Honduran rain gauge, 55 gallon drum


rain gaugeI never have made that rain gauge I talked about way back here. It will be like this, without the copper part. I have an 11 inch (28 cm.) glass vase (which means I may still need to empty it two or three times a day!).

I just need to get the iron part made. I'll have to tell the iron guy that I'm making a vase to put plastic flowers in. He'll believe that.

As long as the vase is straight-sided, I just need to mark the inches on it, right? That will give an accurate measurement, won't it? Darn! I need to get on that project!

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...