June 1, 2007

My Catracho

La Gringa El Jefe

Today marks seven years since I met my Catracho (nickname for Honduran). I knew El Jefe was special from the first moment. When he said he was from Honduras, I remember thinking to myself, "Hmmm, that's somewhere south of Mexico, isn't it?"

It wasn't love at first sight, because neither one of us were looking for love at the time, but the friendship became deeper and deeper and love quickly developed.
We are soul mates. The first year we knew each other, we bought each other the same Christmas present − of course, without knowing that the other had bought it.

We've had our rough moments. I'm sure that most multi-cultural couples do. Catrachos are very passionate, very romantic, very macho, very proud, and easily hurt or offended. (U.S.) Americans are, well, Americans, hahaha! Opinionated, outspoken, bottom-line type people. We've both done some adapting and honestly, I don't know how he puts up with me, but I'm so glad that he does.


He has taken care of me when I had dengue and pneumonia, carried me down the stairs daily when I had a broken foot, and routinely tries to protect me from the things that he knows will worry or upset me. He's my rock!

One of the things I admire most about him is the way that he deals with people from all walks of life. I don't know anyone who has ever met him who doesn't like him. He seems to have an ingrained sense of how to handle every situation − something of which I am sorely lacking. On the other hand, I'm a practical person and quick to come up with solutions for non-people problems. They say that opposites attract.


I love you, baby!
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...