February 21, 2007

Five things you don't know about La Gringa

Tag! You're it!

My (former) friend Mrs. Quad tagged me for a meme − Five things people don't know about you. I ignored it for as long as I could. I hate, err, dislike those things, so don't any of you even think about tagging me for another one. ;-)


Since my life is so boring, I decided to put a 'theme' to my meme. I'm going to tell you about La Gringa's brushes with fame.

When I was 5, I was on a children's TV show. During the cartoon break, the host picked me out of the audience to interview on camera. After my name and how old I was and a few other things, he asked what my father's name was. I answered, "I don't know." My mother was completely mortified. Apparently it sounded as if I didn't know who my father was. (I was only 5! I thought his name was 'Daddy.')

I have a picture of myself with Al Gore when he was Vice President of the U.S. The problem is that it is The Most Horrible Picture of me that there has ever been. I've only showed it to two people in my entire life and they both burst out laughing! I will never show it to anyone again. (He was more arrogant than you might think.)

I could have had a picture of myself with George W. Bush when he was Governor of Texas, but I didn't want to bother him. Sh**. A picture with a U.S. president, even an unpopular one, would have been pretty cool. (He was much more charismatic than you might think.)

I wrote 90% of a citywide neighborhood crime watch manual (it was a committee project, but you know how those things go) that has been used in several cities in the US, as well as cities in Russia, Mexico, and a few other countries. A few years later, after I 'retired' from my volunteer work, the police department began updating it themselves. The last time I saw it, it was a shameful mess of bad grammar, typos, and misinformation. I doubt if they even use it anymore.

A battle I started with some city politicians resulted in a Texas law being changed a year later! They were powerful, but wrong. I was nobody, but right. Ain't America wonderful?! That law was to protect the privacy of neighborhood crime watch leaders, many of whom lived in crime and gang ridden areas and literally feared for their lives. Of course, in the process of trying to help them, my name was in the newspaper and my face was on television. No privacy for me!

So, there you have it.
Zzzzzzz.
Are you still there?
Zzzzzzzz.
Wake up!

Now, who should I pick on? This is what I hate about memes. Now I've been sucked into doing to others what I didn't want done to me.

Bob, the FH-1100 pilot living on the island of Guanaja, Honduras; LadyLuz, the British gardener/mosaic maker in Spain; Antonio, the Catracho who writes about Honduras from Colorado; Nicole, the Caribbean gardener; and Sharon, the Kiwi married to a Catracho in New Zealand, please tell us five scintillating things that we don't know about you. I have faith that you can do better than I did!

Mrs. Quad has the rules. I stole the pic above from her and I see that she stole from someone else. I hope I don't get in trouble.


Will you still be my friends?
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...