March 3, 2009

A tip to get your jolt during a power outage

La Gringa's iced coffee, HondurasIced coffee − yum!

Power outages are pretty common in Central America. Generally, in La Ceiba we don't know in advance when it is going to happen or for how long. Last weekend we did have advance notice that almost the entire north coast of Honduras was going to have a power outage for the entire day on Sunday.


My name is La Gringa, I am a coffee addict


One thing that I really, really, really need is to have is my morning coffee. I can barely function until I have my jolt of caffeine. On those days when we have unexpected power outages, I tend to get really grouchy. Oh, sometimes we drag out the emergency gas cooktop, but my boiled coffee just doesn't cut it and it gets cold after the first cup, unless I continue to reheat it.


Since the Blogicito has so many Central American and Mexican-based readers who may have similar issues, I thought I would pass on my (very simple but) brilliant tip to you other caffeine addicts.

Brew yourself up a pot the night before, let it cool, and put it in the fridge. The next morning, you can have iced coffee! I added a little sugar to the hot pot since El Jefe likes his coffee sweet and even though I don't use sugar in regular, hot coffee, I do like a little sweetness in cold coffees.

El Jefe was a happy guy when I greeted him with a smile in the morning and asked if he would like an iced coffee.

Too bad it took me 7 1/2 years to figure this out.

I am such a caffeine addict that I'm thinking of freezing some coffee for those unplanned outages. Emergency coffee stash!
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...