December 24, 2010

Feliz Navidad and Merry Christmas

Wishing all of the Blogicito readers a very, very Merry Christmas!


I have been a neglectful blogger but an excellent homemaker Hondureña lately. I made homemade tamales (about 50 of them!) along with Arexy's help — which was a bit of a case of the blind leading the blind. I'll have to tell you more about it next week, but suffice it to say that they turned out to be the best tamales in the world! Really!

My tamales have received outstanding (though slightly surprised) reviews from every Honduran who has tasted them. (How can a gringa make good tamales?!) Especially surprised was my sister-in-law who assured me that "at least 3 pounds of lard and 30 bouillon cubes" were needed to "give them flavor". Kenia said that la gringa wraps better than she does. More on the tamales later.

I've also made a dozen loaves of homemade bread for gifts for the family and friends. I've had a regular assembly line going in the kitchen all week.

Today I'm roasting a pork leg — another Honduran tradition, at least in this part of the country. I'm kinda-sorta following my sister-in-law's recipe for that, omitting about a cup and a half of salt-providing ingredients, like an entire box of bouillon cubes. ;-) We are going to have a culturally confused meal: Roasted pork, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Pork sandwiches are also a tradition over the holidays, which is the reason that I thought of making the bread for gifts.

And overall, for the sake of my mental health, I've been ignoring the "Zelaya-is he here-is he coming-is he going to get off scot-free" question as much as possible. I'm sure that he planned to be here, and probably thought that all Christmas festivities would stop while the people worshiped him instead, but it doesn't look like that will happen. I think that is best for a peaceful Navidad in Honduras.

My gift to readers (one of my best recipes) is going to be delayed as I just couldn't get it done today.

I hope your Christmas is the best ever!
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...