September 7, 2008

How hot is it in La Ceiba?

Hot and dry September, La Ceiba, HondurasCan you feel the heat?


The weather has been unbearably hot in La Ceiba for about a month now. Prior to that, we were getting the most rain of any dry season that I can remember. But now we are supposed to be in the rainy season and it has been hot and dry as a bone despite the four hurricanes/tropical storms flashing across the Atlantic.

How hot is it? I won't give temperature highs because those are meaningless. It's the humidity, stupid! When humidity is in the 80% range, high 80's-low 90's°F temperatures have a 'real feel' to the body that bears no relation to the official temperature. Just yesterday when the temperature was 90°F (32°C), Accuweather.com reported that La Ceiba's 'real feel' was 113°F (45°C). Tomorrow the 'real feel' is supposed to reach 117°F (47°C)!

It is so hot that the things that I hang on the line to dry inside the laundry room dry faster than the clothes in the dryer.

It is so hot that I have to lean back while I'm cooking or preparing food so I don't inadvertently add more 'salt' than necessary to the food − if you know what I mean.

Hot and dry September, La Ceiba, HondurasIt is so hot that the tortillas pulled out of the freezer thaw in under a minute on the countertop.

It is so hot that I've been trying to learn to walk and make slower movements like Hondurans so that I don't sweat so much.

It is so hot that clothes are difficult to remove from your body. They roll up and stick to you.

It is so hot that a cold shower feels good. It feels so good that it is hard to get out of the shower.

It is so hot that steam comes off my head when I stick it under the shower.

It is so hot that any amount of housework results in me looking like I just stepped out of a rainstorm.

It is so hot that I've discovered that even my hair sweats.

It is so hot that my coffee never gets cold no matter how long I take to drink it.

It is so hot that the ice melts in minutes even inside my insulated mug.

It is so hot that my dogs enjoy licking the salty sweat off my ankles.

It is so hot that I don't want to move!
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...