July 15, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day in Honduras - July 2008

Banana bloomBanana bloom

All of the tropical blooms from my May and June Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts are still blooming (lucky me) so I won't repeat them. If you haven't seen them, you can see the photos at the links above. If you are new here, my garden is in La Ceiba, Honduras. That is in Central America for the geography-challenged. ;-)

Orchid, Myrmecophila tibicinis, La Ceiba, HondurasOrchid - Myrmecophila tibicinis

One of my orchids is in bloom again so that is exciting. A reader identified it as
Myrmecophila tibicinis. Last year it bloomed later in August. Better photos are at "My first time ever" where I reveled in keeping an orchid alive long enough for it to bloom.

Costus, La Ceiba, HondurasCostus

One bloom that I forgot to include previously is the Costus. Costus blooms year round. I'm not sure how I missed it in both May and June as I walked around the garden taking photos, except that the blooms are at the top, well above my eye level. We have it in three areas but the best one in right outside the sala familiar (family room). The windows are about 6 feet (2 meters) above the ground so the Costus is just the right height to be able to enjoy the blooms from the inside of the house. Costus has an interesting form of growth which you can read about here.



Guava, La Ceiba, HondurasGuavas

Not a bloom, but our guava tree is producing. If only we could beat the fruit flies to them. :-/ I did notice that the lower right corner of the photo shows another bloom which I've neglected to show before. The red and yellow bloom is Heliconia psitticorum.

We've been receiving an incredible amount of rain for this time of year. We are supposed to be in the dry season, but I'm not complaining. It's great for the garden.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...