April 1, 2007

I know what we are having for dinner tonight

Domino's Pizza in La Ceiba

This was delivered by motorcycle today. The translation is "We are already open!" I had absolutely no idea! There is so much construction going on in La Ceiba and we always wonder what the buildings are going to be but they rarely have signs. This was a nice surprise.

I thought it was a little odd that they weren't advertising a promotion, but that's the way things are here. We are supposed to be grateful that they are here. I'm sure there will be long lines for the next couple of weeks. Notice the ad carries an "official" rubber stamp. They do love to "officialize" things in Honduras.

My excitement as seeing this flyer reminded me of an article written by Sharon at the
Feather Ridge blog. Sharon lives on the tiny island of Guanaja off the coast of Honduras. In this article she discussed how we expatriates are excited about little things that we wouldn't have blinked an eye at in the states, such as the thrill I felt when spotting the new Baskins Robbins ice cream store back in December.

We have two Pizza Huts here in La Ceiba. The pizzas aren't bad, just kind of blah. I hadn't been to a Pizza Hut in the U.S. for at least 10 or 15 years prior coming to Honduras, but what are you going to do? You have to have pizza every now and then, don't you?

There is also a pizza place called Toto's Pizza here in town. We've only been there once. The pizza was so loaded with cheese (generally a good thing) that I really didn't like it. It must have been an inch thick.


Here in La Ceiba people often take affront if you ask for anything different than they normally prepare, so it's usually not worth trying to ask for anything, even when it is less than they normally give. For example, the employees at Pizza Hut often try to charge extra for the Super Supreme pizza if you ask them to leave off some of the ingredients.


I have made homemade pizzas but it is often difficult finding decent mozzarella or pepperoni.

Oh, the times, they are a changing! I wonder if we will get some of those other restaurants that the big cities of San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa have? − like Toni Roma's, TGI Fridays, Little Caesars, Cinnabon, and McDonalds.

I'll give you a review later.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...