May 2, 2008

What do you see?

Black vulture, HondurasPhoto by El Jefe

What do you see?

Look...

Look...

If you are really observant, you've noticed that the mountain is missing. But don't worry, it'll come back.

Do you see something else?

...


....

No?

Click to open the photo larger. Here's a close up:


Black vulture, Honduras
The black vulture


Vultures serve a very important purpose in Honduras, and I suppose anywhere. They prevent the spread of terrible diseases like the plague by consuming dead animals. It's not like we can call Animal Control to come remove dead bodies.

They aren't very pretty but they are impressive. Their wingspans can be greater than 5 feet (1.5 meters) and they coast very gracefully without much effort.


Once I heard the loud wing-flapping noise of a vulture coming down and I raced for one of my chihuahuas who was lounging on the lawn. I don't know if vultures ever attack live animals, but it is rare for one to swoop down in my garden so I wasn't taking any chances!

Several types of vultures are native to Honduras. I've seen the black vulture and the turkey vulture. Usually they are circling so high that it's hard to tell what they are but there is no mistaking that they are vultures!



Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...