February 23, 2010

US Americans can't even make their own P&J's anymore

Old fashioned 20th century peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Is it true? Have US Americans now become so rushed that they don't even have time to make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anymore?

I was reading Fausta's Blog (a great source for Latin American news) when a flashing advertisement went by for Smuckers Uncrustables. I never, never ever, never ever ever click ads, but I was so intrigued that I clicked this one.

Sure enough. Moms can now buy pre-made, pre-trimmed, frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in several flavors. "Uncrustables® are the perfect 'grab-and-go' sandwich for families on the move." Just grab them out of the freezer and toss 'em to the kids on your way to work.

Hey, I'm all for conveniences. You won't find me washing my clothes on a rock in the river (please read - it's funny)  and I'm super happy that I don't have to collect wood for the fire or carry water from the creek in order to cook dinner as many women do in Honduras. But really! How much time does it take to make a P&J sandwich and cut off the crust? Or for God's sake, teach your kids how to do it. It'll be good for them.

Related article: In my search for a picture of an Uncrustable, I ran across the hilarious "Uncrustables Experiment". Check it out for a laugh. The descriptions are priceless.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...