April 27, 2009

The $99 banana split

$99 banana split, El Progreso, Honduras
The $99 banana split


Remember the $74 banana split? Inflation has struck. It now costs $99, a 34% increase in two years!

Actually that should be L.99 (lempiras, the monetary unit of Honduras) or about US $5.24, a big rip off it seems to me since they make these little tiny scoops of ice cream, not the regulation size I remember from the old days back in the US. I still don't know why they use dollar signs on one side of the sign and lempira signs on the other. This photo was even taken in another city (El Progreso) so I guess it must be store policy.

How about L.309 for a half gallon? That is US $16.36!!! Please. Ben & Jerry's it is not. Needless to say, my initial excitement about the Baskin Robbins opening in La Ceiba has gone by the wayside. When I want good ice cream, I'll make it at home for a lot less cost than this. I don't mind paying more for quality but I just don't like to feel ripped off.

Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts, El Progreso, HondurasWhile I'm ragging on Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts, let me ask you...Is this what your Dunkin Donuts sign says? Shouldn't this read, "Coffee, Bakery & Ice Cream Place"? I really need to know this as it bugs me.

While there are usually customers lined up for the donuts, sandwiches, and coffee, it seems that a lot of customers must agree with me because I rarely see anyone in line for ice cream.

store landscaping, El Progreso, HondurasWe do like the Dunkin Donuts and the coffee drinks. And I like the pretty landscaping outside, though it is way overplanted. They will be removing half of these plants within a couple of years. Only one of my sago palms would fill this entire bed and this little spot has three. Where these are planted, they are going to cover the entire sidewalk and one parking place before long. That is one thing I can say about the US food franchises − they generally have at least a tiny spot of pretty landscaping outside.


By the way, I was severely chastised for taking a photo in the store. :-/

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...