July 16, 2008

You get what you pay for

cheap Chinese flip-flopsSpiffy new flip-flops
Not so spiffy crooked toes ;-0

We were out one night after Carnaval was over, but the achines* (street vendors) were still there. I needed a pair of flip-flops so we stopped to take a look at one vendor's stall. The selection was pretty shabby − everything from China, I think, and their extra special quality for the third-world to boot. I only found one decent pair in my size: Those sparkly, spangly ones in the photo above.

The price was right. I took that photo a few weeks ago to brag to you about spending L.20 (US $1.06) for a pair of flip-flops.
Hah! The joke was on me. The shoes actually cost a dollar per day, because that is exactly how long they lasted! I wore them one day plus two hours the next day. The soles weren't even dirty yet.

cheap Chinese flip flops
I'm going to glue them to see if I can get another week or so out of them. Right now I'm back to wearing my shabby ones.

shabby flip flops

* Achines is related to the word achinado which means oriental. Not that the vendors were oriental, just the junk they sell.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...