June 9, 2008

Let's talk about…the weather!

The following article is a guest blog from Todd, a former Minnesota resident who now lives in Tegucigalpa, the capital city of Honduras. Todd recently resuscitated his entertaining blog after a short absence. In addition to his job for the English-language Honduras This Week newspaper, Todd writes "about life in Honduras and beyond, pop culture, politics, current events, etc." in his blog, Todd Rules.


Tegucigalpa, HondurasView of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 2002

LG put the call out to her 'peeps' to scare up a guest blogger or two, and yours truly took the bait! I've been a fan of her blog for a couple of years and, like many others, hope the numbness and tingling issues that are causing her to slow down resolve soon. (NO! I don't care if your hand hurts….now TYPE!!)

In the meantime, as a fellow ex-pat now living in Honduras (Tegucigalpa) and with the rainy season in full swing, I think it might be worth talking about the weather here in the original "Banana Republic."

I was born (Minnesota) and raised (Minnesota and South Dakota) in the Midwest US. The four distinct seasons were a way of life and influenced everything we did, from how we dressed, how we traveled, our moods, our yards, how we cooked, etc. To this day, split pea and ham soup and late fall are forever and inextricably linked to each other, as far as I'm concerned. The street I live on here is unpaved (another subject – and a sore one) and currently very muddy. I always associate mud and puddles to April and May, when the snow is melting and everything seems wet and mushy.

Being in Honduras for a year now, I have experienced my first, full 'seasonal' year. And it's true: Honduras has two seasons, the rainy season and the dry season. Yes, there are variations within those two, but, by and large, it comes down to two.

Yes, I did miss the snow this past winter, and I didn't think I would. Walking around on Christmas in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops was a fun change of pace, but Christmas without snow seemed very strange. Interestingly, it all came flooding back to me that in years past, I wanted the snow and cold to go away after New Year's Day, and I cursed the same snow of Christmas for at least the whole of February and March. Something tells me, as time goes on, I will do just fine without another Minnesota winter! A week in Colorado skiing is another thing.

Tegucigalpa, HondurasHere is what I love about the weather here in Honduras: in a matter of a week, the dry, brown hills surrounding Tegucigalpa are now a beautiful green, as is everything else – and it'll stay that way for months. A neighbor has a bunch of mature jasmine bushes in her backyard and the scent just made its way across the fence. I smelled freshly mowed grass yesterday before it started to rain! There is some sort of banana or plantain tree out back and two huge bunches will be adequately hydrated and delicious before too long.

So – let's talk about the weather. If you're from someplace else, how have you adjusted to Honduras' climate and weather? Do you have a favorite time of year, meteorologically speaking? Are there distinctions about the weather here worthy of discussion?


Thank you, Todd, for taking some of your busy writing time to be a guest blogger here at the Blogicito.

I'll just start out the conversation by saying that my favorite weather is rainy season. Here in La Ceiba, we are supposedly in the dry season but we've been getting some wet weather lately and I love it. As much as I've complained about the humidity, I've notice when the humidity gets "low", maybe 50-60%, my skin feels dry. I'm not sure how this adjustment came about since I was used to the very dry, non-humid climate of Dallas, Texas. I still like to make soups and stews when the weather turns a little "chillier" and I welcome that cooler weather, but I don't miss weeks and months of cold weather at all!

If you would like to submit a guest blog article, it will be greatly appreciated by me and my two bum fingers. Send it to me at my email address in the "About me" section at the top of the page. Photos are welcomed, too. Don't worry about formatting or spelling. You can send it as a text file or just include the text in your email.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...