May 14, 2008

Porting port-a-potties to the pineapple plantations

tractor pulling port-a-potties, Honduras
A little tractor porting port-a-potties to the pineapple plantations. It looks like a cute little train ride at an amusement park, doesn't it?

Wow! Was I surprised to see this! It was so interesting because I was just reading some international agriculture standards a couple of weeks ago (yes, it's true) and I read that companies are supposed to have toilets in the fields for the workers. Makes sense, yes, but my first thought was, "Well, I've NEVER seen any toilets in the pineapple fields!"

Not that they would need a toilet in every field all of the time because sometimes the pineapples are just, well, growing and they don't need a lot of attention. But, I've been here a long time and have passed the pineapple fields many times and never noticed a port-a-potty. That's not to say that I couldn't have missed them, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Honduran melon-salmonella situation.

Ooops. Just checked with El Jefe. He was born and raised in El Porvenir and he's never seen field toilets before either. Hmmmm. It just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Those of you who eat Dole pineapples will be happy to know that El Jefe saw pilas (sinks) on the back of the johns, too, so workers can even wash their hands.

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...