May 23, 2008

The parade is at 2 pm, or maybe at 9 pm

La Ceiba Carnival paradeLa Ceiba Carnival Parade 2006

While writing the last Carnaval article, I was looking over the Honduran Ministry of Tourism website, foolishly thinking that it might have some more information about the Carnival or at least a link to related website.

But, no, instead of further tourist information, it offers email addresses for various areas. Huh? Every tourist is going to write an email with their questions and there are so many tourism employees that they will be able to respond in a timely manner to all the emails?


I couldn't resist, so I sent an email asking for a schedule of Carnaval events on April 17, 2008. Surprisingly, I did receive a reply, not with a schedule of events, but with only a suggestion to look at Joel's Conozca La Ceiba site (sorry, this website no longer exists).

Jen recently commented on my Carnival article saying that a schedule of events was available at La Ceiba.com. That schedule listed Saturday's parade to start at "21:00" hours (9 p.m.)! Thinking that it couldn't possibly be true, I went back to Joel's site and it says that the parade starts at 2 p.m. I'm betting that Joel is right. The parade has always been in the afternoon, though at least one year it was so disorganized that it lasted until well after dark.

I have to admit that I am enjoying how easy it is to prove my points about tourism promotion in Honduras. ;-)

I think that we will be going and will try to get some photos and maybe some video of the dancers. I won't promise as it has been sooooo unbearably hot lately and I can't imagine how miserable it will be standing out in the sun sweating for hours while people push in front of me with umbrellas to block my view. We'll see. No promises.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

See the 2013 carnival update here.



Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...