December 7, 2007

Down that rabbit hole and out again


Before I get too far behind, I should give an update on today's Wonderland experience.

As I mentioned in my LG goes through the looking glass article, I have been trying to get Nora to set a time that she would like to come to work. I realize that the buses probably don't have a set schedule − after all this is Honduras − and that she won't always be able to be here right on the dot. I'd just like to have, say, a general half hour range that she might be arriving, at least most days.

So yesterday, with El Jefe's help, we had a long discussion in which he assured her that we would never dock her pay if she was here waiting for us and that La Gringa didn't sleep in just to teach her a lesson. After much talk, finally we pinned her down and Nora said 8:00 a.m. would be good for her and how late would she have to work to get the full pay if she came at 8:00? I said she would need to work until 4:30 p.m. with half an hour for lunch. Yes. She liked that. So it is resolved.

Oh, and do we mind if she takes a shower in the garage bathroom at lunch time? Sure, no problem.

Before she left, just to make sure she hadn't forgotten or changed her mind, I asked her what time she would come tomorrow. "Don't you remember? 8:00 a.m.," she said. Okey-dokey.



So I set my alarm for 7:30 a.m., but birds or the dogs or something woke me up about 7:15. I looked at the clock, grateful that I had another 15 minutes to sleep. Just as I was about to doze off again, I heard dinnggg! I don't hear the doorbell when I'm upstairs sleeping and can just barely hear it if I'm awake. No, it can't be, I thought. It must have been a bird or something. I'm hearing things. Just then, El Jefe rolled over and said, "Uhhh, I thought I heard the doorbell ring...." We both started laughing.

Alice in Wonderland: But it's no use going back to yesterday,
because I was a different person then.


He went down to let her in and remarked that she was early. She cheerfully said, "Oh, I woke up early so I just came."


(Hmmm, so is the arrival time really dependent upon what time she wakes up or what time she catches the bus? Can she catch the bus if she's still asleep? Can she sleep if she catches the bus? How do people wake up who don't have electricity?)

Alice in Wonderland: Curiouser and curiouser!

She put in a good day's work and left at 4:00 p.m. very pleased with her windfall of cash and happy to have Saturday off to spend it.

We are having a going away party for El Jefe's brother on Sunday and Nora is coming to work to help me out on Sunday, too. Life is good. For the moment, anyway. ;D
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...