February 7, 2007

La Gringa's visitors just keep coming

scorpionScorpion

Scorpions, called escorpiones in Spanish (some Spanish words are so easy!), are very common here in Honduras. Once we found about 30 babies under some boxes we were storing inside the house. I've been surprised a few other times when moving something outside.

Although not all scorpions are extremely poisonous, they scare me to death. Our veterinarian said that one scorpion sting would be enough to kill a chihuahua and I'm sure the same applies to a bantam chicken.


El Jefe found and killed this one. He said it was about 3 inches long (7.6 cm.). However, it looks more like 5 or 6 inches to me (13-15 cm.) − easily the biggest I've seen.

Here's a video so you can see how fast they move. Sorry, no special effects or music this time. I was in a hurry.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...