January 12, 2007

La Gringa's obsessions


Ha ha! Tricked you again with that catchy title, didn't I?

I Google (most of the time)

I'm obsessed with Google. I love to see the searches that people make that lead them to my blog. It gives me ideas about what to write about. But lately I've been getting a lot of hits from people, umm, shall we say, "looking for love in all the wrong places."


I can't tell you exactly − and you probably don't want to know anyway − because if I spell out what they are looking for, Google will add it to their database and then I'll get even more of those perverts visiting.

I have been racking my brain to try to figure out why Google is sending them to my blogicito. I finally figured it out: I made the mistake of being a little too explicit about chicken facts and used the s_x word. Jeesh! Is that all it takes?

Here is another search from today that I can't quite figure out, but it is funny:

"robberies done with a shovel in 2007"

I'm just trying to picture that....?

I Technorati

I'm also obsessed with Technorati.com. Technorati is a website that tracks and indexes over 63 million (yes, million) blogs (weblogs only, not websites). You can search for blogs or articles, mark your favorites, and do all sorts of things there. They also rank blogs based on how many sites link to them and how "important" those linking sites are using some complicated formula.

When I first discovered Tehnorati, it was shortly after I started my blog in July. La Gringa's Blogicito was ranked 2,100,000 and something. I assumed that it must have been out of 2,200,000 blogs and only later discovered it was from a much, much larger number. The only reason was that many blogs are set up and nothing is ever posted after the first article. About 45% of the authors quit posting during the first three months. And of course, tons of them are spam blogs with stolen, nonsensical, or no content.

After about a month of posting, my blog was ranked in the top million. After another month, it was in the top 200,000 according to Technorati. I couldn't figure it out, but I was pretty excited about it. I decided my goal was to get into the top 50,000 so I kept plugging away.

Made it! Today for the first time, the Blogicito is ranked 48,071. That's out of 63,000,000! Here's the proof:



I had to take a picture for posterity. I'm sure that any day now they will figure out that I am actually writing about Honduras, which not many people really care about, and correct
their grievous error.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying it. Writing a blog and keeping it up day after day is really hard work as many of you know, especially if you try to make it interesting and not make too many spelling or other stupid errors. That rank is like a pat on the back and we all need that, don't we? ;-D
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...